Some homeowners begin a kitchen remodel by buying appliances. Some homeowners start by collecting inspiration photos and color samples. Others start to imagine alternative floor plans.
Rebekah Zaveloff, Houzz Contributor writes that homeowners may be in the exploration stage for as long as a year before they begin interviewing general contractors or kitchen designers.
Why are kitchen projects delayed and put off so long?
- Remodeling can feel overwhelming. It can be difficult to manage all the details and dependencies involved in a kitchen remodel project. Determination fatigue can lead to delays and even complete avoidance.
- Homeowners don’t see the final result. How will it all come together? How will the kitchen end up looking? Like other major purchases like a house or car, you only get what you see. However, a remodeling project is not something you can see until all the pieces are installed.
Both of these are good reasons to talk to contractors earlier. Your ability to draw on their experience and guide you will make better decisions and avoid getting stuck.
These steps will help you get your remodel off to the right start.
Step 1 – Get Ready
The marketplace offers an almost endless supply of tempting products and options, from online shopping to boutique sellers to superstores in home centers. How can you navigate the maze of home-improvement products?
You can simplify the process by doing some preparation. Consider all the reasons you want to remodel your kitchen. What is your motivation? What are your goals? These goals should be written down and shared with your spouse and household.
Congratulations if you are able to take the first step with confidence and firmness. You will get there no matter what obstacles you face.
We will guide you through the steps to help you determine your goals for your remodel plan. Consider how you want your kitchen to look after following these steps.
- Your household’s lifestyle needs will be met
- Maximize the space you have.
- You can fit your remodeling budget into your timeline.
Step 2: Assess your Wants and Needs
There are many options for kitchens. Gourmet kitchens. Entertaining kitchens. Family kitchens. You’re searching for yourkitchen.
Take a look at how your current kitchen functions to determine your needs and wants.
- Who cooks? How often do you cook?
- What kind of kitchen equipment do your use?
- Are there any other activities that take place in your kitchen? You can do paperwork, computer work and entertainment.
- Is it easy to access and reach storage space? Are you in need of more storage space? Where?
- Is it easy to find the trash? Are you able to store recyclables in your kitchen?
- Do you require more counter space? Where?
- What are you most proud of in your kitchen?
What would you do to improve your kitchen?
- What do you dislike about your current space, and why?
- What are the missing features in your kitchen?
- Are you looking for ideas to design your kitchen?
- What colors and styles do you prefer to use in your kitchen?
It pays to be thorough. It is easier to find kitchen designers and contractors who will follow your vision if you communicate clearly about your needs and wants.
Step 3 – Set a Remodel Timeline
How long does it take for a kitchen remodel?
Remodeling is a process that depends on the scope and size of your project. This includes the timeframe.
What if you haven’t had much experience with remodeling or don’t know how long it takes to complete a project? What is a good guideline for setting a remodeling timeline?
It takes nine months to achieve what you want while staying within your budget for a typical kitchen remodel. It takes six months to plan the project, including shopping, planning, designing, hiring, scheduling, and ordering. Then, it takes three months to complete the contract work.
Many homeowners finish their projects faster depending on how they spend their time. Don’t assume that time is a given. You have the ability to use time as a resource to achieve more of what you desire. We all forget how long it takes to shop. You will need to take the time to research vendors and seasonal sales.
It is normal and acceptable to want your kitchen remodelled in time for the holidays. Start planning now, so you have enough time to plan.
Step 4: Set project goals
Once you have identified your needs, the next step will be to create a list of your project goals and the improvements you desire for your space.
One or more of these might be your goals:
- If the property is sold in the next few years, it will increase its resale price.
- Accessible storage units, such as trash bin cabinets and pots-and-pans drawers, are more accessible
- Open layouts make your space feel larger and brighter.
- New, energy-efficient appliances
- Additional countertop space around cooktops
- Modern, sleek kitchen in gray/white
- New tile flooring
- Station for wine or coffee (or both).
- A charging station for electronics
Step 5 – Shop
CliqStudios’ expert in kitchen remodeling, Dan Jones, says that shopping is an important thing. People forget how many hours they spend in the plumbing aisle staring at the same four faucets.
You are likely to make major purchases on your own, unless you have an interior designer or contractor who is very involved. These are major purchases. Jones says that the kitchen remodel is among the five most important purchases you make in your entire life. It’s also the largest purchase of your entire life, your house.
These key kitchen products are essential to add to your shopping cart:
- Faucets and sinks
There are many things to know about each brand, material, installation method, cost, warranties, and other details. You can keep track of all your options by creating a detailed list or using a spreadsheet.
Online and offline shopping, product catalogues, trade shows and showroom visits, as well as checking out salvage yards and specialty shops in your area, are all possible. You’ll eventually learn how much each item, feature, or upgrade costs, as well as how much you value them.
Step 6 – Establish a budget for remodeling
The first question that a professional remodeling contractor will ask is “What is your budget?” You won’t be confident in setting a budget unless you have shopped for and compared the different products.
This is how a remodeling budget works. It’s similar to the budget you set for your car or house. The amount you can afford to buy something depends on your financial situation, your available financing options, and what you have.
Budget benchmarks for kitchen remodeling. The average kitchen remodel cost is $22,000. However, high-end kitchens can run up to $33,000. Cabinets typically account for 25-30% of the remodeling budget. CliqStudios customers spend on average $8,000 for cabinets
Be aware, pay attention, and you will find ways to save money.
Step 7 – Get the pros in
Two main players are involved in professional kitchen remodeling in Northbrook IL.
- A kitchen designer
- A general contractor
A kitchen designer will ensure that your kitchen is efficient, functional, and affordable. They will take the time to understand your needs and desires. They then translate your needs and wants into a practical, beautiful, and actionable strategy.
The general contractor (GC), coordinates the construction and installation of the kitchen designer’s plans. The GC organizes products, materials, and people. They plan work for trade professionals involved in kitchen renovations like electricians, plumbers and tile professionals.
Proactively seek out professionals early on. Your expertise will make it easier to make the right remodeling decisions. Early appointments will guarantee that you are on their schedule. It’s not uncommon for contractors to be booked months ahead of their scheduled times, which is why they are the most highly regarded.
Interior design and architectural services are another option. You may need an architect or interior designer to help coordinate your project if you are remodeling the entire house or making major structural changes. Their services are not necessary if you are only remodeling your kitchen.
You, your kitchen cabinet designer, and your general contractor should be able to ensure that your kitchen is designed, built, and decorated to your satisfaction.
Have fun remodeling!